Company: Hackensack Meridian Health
Location: Trinton Falls, NJ
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 10/04/2022
Expire Date: 11/30/2022
Job Categories: Healthcare, Other
How have you impacted someone's life today? At Hackensack Meridian Health our teams are focused on changing the lives of our patients by providing the highest level of care each and every day. From our hospitals, rehab centers and occupational health teams to our long-term care centers and at-home care capabilities, our complete spectrum of services will allow you to apply your skills in multiple settings while building your career, all within New Jersey's premier healthcare system.
As assigned by the Director of Perfusion Services and under the direction of the primary surgeon, the perfusionist shall set-up and operate such devices as the heart lung machine for bypass procedures, ventricular assists devices, intra-aortic balloon pumps, and the autotransfusion device. He/she will also provide surgical back-up for procedures performed in the catheterization lab. This list of duties shall not be considered totally inclusive of all services provided.
A day in the life of a Perfusionist at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
1. Under the guidelines of the primary surgeon conducts cardiopulmonary bypass safely in accordance with the department's policy and procedures and the standard accepted practices of the American Society of Extracorporeal Technology and the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion.
2. Under the guidelines of the primary surgeon insures all routine and emergency cases are performed according to Policy and Procedure.
3. Under the guidelines of the primary surgeon reviews patient's medical record prior to each procedure to assess the scope of disease/illness and make appropriate judgments concerning prime selection, additional fluid choices, drug usage during bypass, and techniques of conducting bypass.
4. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills to provide extracorporeal services to patients from adult to geriatric and makes appropriate changes to equipment, supplies, and techniques to best meet the needs of the patient and the policy and procedures of the primary surgeon.
5. Maintains readiness to initiate bypass throughout the procedure. Prior to bypass completes and records the baseline activated clotting time, baseline blood gases, baseline Cerebral Oximetry data, the autotransfusion checklist, and the pre bypass checklist.
6. Under the guidelines of the primary surgeon makes appropriate responses to the patient's medical status when using the intra-aortic balloon pump, auto-transfusion, and ventricular assist devices. Records all responses appropriately.
7. Communicates with the surgeon and the anesthesiologist throughout the procedure as to the condition of the patient.
8. Under the guidelines of the primary surgeon monitors anticoagulation, acid-base, hemodynamics, Cerebral Oximetry, hemodilution, and homeostasis. Keeps all parameters within acceptable limits set by the department's policy and procedures.
9. Identifies the needs of the patient population served and modifies and delivers care that is specific to those needs (i.e., age, culture, language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc.) This process includes communicating with the patient, parent and/or primary caregiver(s) at their level (developmental/age, educational, literacy, etc.).
10. Performs point of care blood gas analysis. Proficiently performs patient blood gas analysis, electronic quality controls, liquid quality controls, data management and result reporting.
11. Performs Hemostasis Management utilizing the Medtronic Plus Hemostasis Management System. Proficiently performs patient blood samples, electronic quality controls, liquid quality controls, data management, and result reporting.
12. Completes patient's record utilizing the department's computerized record system. Accurately completes the perfusion record, all required checklists, the cardiac surgery database, and billing forms.
13. Provide coverage at affiliate and partnership locations, when request.
14. Adheres to the standards identified in the Medical Center's Organizational Competencies
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. A minimum of a degree in perfusion technology, other related science, or equivalent.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. 3 years of clinical perfusion experience.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. Perfusionist License.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
1. Certified in Cardiovascular Perfusion.
Lifts a minimum of 70 lbs., pushes and pulls a minimum of 300 lbs. and stands a minimum of 8 hours a day.
Company Name: Hackensack Meridian Health
Hackensack Meridian Health is a leading not-for-profit health care organization that is the most comprehensive and truly integrated health care network in New Jersey, offering a complete range of medical services, innovative research and life-enhancing care. Hackensack Meridian Health comprises 17 hospitals, including three academic medical centers, two children’s hospitals, nine community hospitals, two rehabilitation hospitals, and more than 450 patient care sites and physician offices. Hackensack Meridian Health has over 36,000 team members, more than 6,500 physicians and is a distinguished leader in health care philanthropy, committed to the health and well-being of the communities it serves.