|Director of Fitness & Wellness|
Company: Duke Recreation & Physical Education
Location: Durham, NC
Employment Type: Full Time
Date Posted: 05/27/2022
Expire Date: 07/27/2022
Job Categories: Collegiate Faculty, Staff, Administration
Director of Fitness & Wellness|
Our commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Duke Recreation and Physical Education affirms our commitment to fighting racism and supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion. It is our mission to build awareness and leadership around anti-racism by generating transformative conversations, tangible changes, and experiences through assessment, intentional actions, and holding our community accountable.
This is a full-time position under the direct supervision of the Managing Director of Recreation Facilities. The Director of Fitness and Wellness will assist with the development and implementation of all fitness and wellness programs including group exercise, fitness consultations, personal training, wellness, outreach and special events. The Director will work to cultivate a safe, equitable and inclusive community and environment through education and the identification and removal of barriers for program staff and participants. This position will oversee the Coordinator of Fitness and Wellness, part-time and contracted staff, and is expected to work occasional evening and weekend hours.
• Responsible for the development, direction and evaluation of comprehensive fitness, group fitness, and overall wellness strategies for the department’s services, programs, and facilities.
• Provides leadership and strategic planning in development and implementation of fitness/wellness events designed for the recreational needs of the campus community.
• Manages operating and personnel budget for the Fitness & Wellness program area.
• Analyze, create, and drive streams of revenue generation to meet yearly revenue goals.
• Serves on departmental, university, and/or national committees.
• Coordinates the recruitment, hiring, training, supervision and evaluation of the Coordinator Fitness and Wellness, student employee staff, and Program Assistant/Intern.
• Assesses programming effectiveness and satisfaction within fitness as it relates to industry trends on a yearly basis.
• Work closely with Managing Director of Recreation Facilities regarding fitness equipment purchases.
• Maintain injury-free environment by maintaining equipment operation and function, proper execution of lifting techniques and correct use of equipment
• Manage technology systems in the capacity they are used by the program area, such as Fusion, Setmore and other fitness software.
• Establish and administer safety/risk management and emergency action protocols/plans for areas of responsibility.
• Create partnerships with fitness and wellness professional within the surrounding communities.
• Supports and helps progress the university and department’s commitment to anti-racism and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Bachelor’s degree from accredited institution. Four or more years of professional work experience in fitness or related field. Must have at least 2 years of supervisory experience. Experience collaborating with campus partners to coordinate and organize special events for students, faculty, staff, and recreation center members. Evidence of strong leadership, mentoring, and staff development skills. Experience with assessment efforts and data analysis. Must have CPR, First Aid, and AED certifications or be able to obtain within two months of employment. Must have one of the following certifications by the date of application: Personal Training Certification thru an accredited program such as ACE, NSCA, NASM, or ACSM, etc.
Master’s degree from accredited institution. Five or more years of professional work experience in fitness or related field. Three or more years supervisory experience. Hold both a Group Fitness Instructor Certification and Personal Training Certification thru accredited programs such as ACE, NSCA, NASM, ACSM, or AFFA, etc. Experience working with InnoSoft Fusion.
Knowledge, Skills, Ability
Excellent oral and written communication skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Office products. Ability to communicate with diverse populations. Demonstrate understanding and a strong commitment to customer service orientation. Knowledge of risk management planning. Ability to prepare financial reports, statistical reports, inventory control, and budget management. Shares the responsibility of the mission, strategic planning and goals for Recreation and Physical Education. Knowledge of the principles and practices of Campus Recreation fitness programs. Ability to plan, organize, schedule, and promote recreation activities and programs; ability to supervise and direct the work of others; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; ability to successfully work with and serve a diverse University community; good judgment; reliability; initiative and resourcefulness.
Company Name: Duke Recreation & Physical Education